Thursday, October 19, 2006

Fun with Drugs

Tuesday night I made an error with a medication. For my convenience my doctor had changed the size in milligrams of one of my pills. She told me this but 4 weeks later I had forgotten.(I had put the new script on hold). When I took my nightly meds I took 450mg instead of 300mg. The effect was immediate and rather negative. Thankfully she and I figured this problem out yesterday. This morning I feel much better. The drugs I take are mood stabilizers, they help me to have more appropriate reactions to my environment. These are common and highly effective bipolar meds. Appropriate doses help me avoid overreactions. Too much medicine and I'm likely to simply not give a shit about anything. I woke up this morning realizing that the things I didn't care about yesterday are impacting me today. I think I'm still on a little bit too much but I will have to document the problems over the next month. I keep a detailed log of everything I experience and summarize each week. It is beginning to paint a picture of the effects both good and bad. There is some good news. My insomnia is under much better control. The rush of thoughts through my mind which had been keeping me awake night after night are gone. I am still having trouble being an active participant in my own life. This is why I think I am on a bit too much. My experience with 150mg difference stands out. Once the meds are in the system and working, small shifts make big difference. I hope me and my doctor can find the perfect brew of pills.

No comments: